New to Otter? Check out the Starter Guide and watch this video overview ...
Got a question? Browse these FAQs ...
What can I use Otter for?
Otter turns your voice conversations into smart notes that you can easily search and share. You can use it to take notes at your meetings and interviews, capture your thoughts and ideas while you’re driving in the car, and transcribe your existing recordings and podcasts. You can even snap photos (e.g. of a whiteboard, or a speaker or presentation slide at an event) during a recording and they will be inserted inline with your transcripts. The possibilities are endless.
Is my data safe?
How can I delete my Otter account?
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d like the opportunity to address any questions or concerns you may have about Otter and get your feedback and suggestions to improve the product.
How do I get started?
Is there a cost?
There is no cost to using the default Otter Free plan – you get 600 minutes of transcription every month and the plan does not expire. You can upgrade to Otter Premium to get 6,000 minutes of transcription per month for a low subscription fee of USD $9.99 monthly or $99.99 annually!
Is there a student/teacher discount for Otter Premium?
Yes, there is an educational discount available to those who provide verification. Please email us at email@example.com with your school’s name, your school email address, and a photo of your school ID. We will then verify your account, making it eligible for the discounted Premium plan for students and teachers.
How long does it take for the transcript to appear?
While recording on a stable internet connection, we show you a live transcript as you speak. The final transcript and audio processing can take some additional time, and depends on the length of the recording and how busy the otter.ai service is.
My transcript is still processing. What should I do?
If the transcript has been processing for an unexpectedly long time, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and give us details (date, time, title) on which recording is affected so that we can look into the issue and possibly reprocess your recording. If we do reprocess your recording, your minutes will not be deducted.
My transcript is stuck uploading. What should I do?
If you see the following status icon next to your recording, it means that it has not been fully uploaded:
Please ensure that you are on a stable network connection, preferably Wi-Fi. If you are using the Otter mobile app and have "Stream audio on Wi-Fi only" or "Data Saver" setting turned on, this means that Otter would only be able to upload the recorded audio if you have Wi-Fi connection AND the Otter app is in the foreground.
Does Otter work with my Zoom recordings?
Yes, you can use Otter with all Zoom plans:
• If you have Zoom Basic or higher, you can record Zoom meetings locally to your computer, and then import the audio_only.m4a file into Otter.ai.
• If you have Zoom Pro, Business, or Enterprise, you can also record to the cloud and set up Otter to sync Zoom cloud recordings automatically.
Why are my Zoom recordings stuck processing in Otter?
It's very likely that your Zoom settings are not correctly configured. Please follow our setup guide and make sure that you have them set correctly for both your personal account settings and admin account settings.
Why should I sync Zoom recordings into Otter, if Zoom already has transcription built in?
Otter is your one-stop app to capture notes and share conversations, both in-person and online. By syncing your Zoom recordings into Otter, you get richer notes that you can do more with:
1. Highly accurate, readable transcript with custom vocabulary and speaker voiceprints
2. Summary keywords and word cloud for quick navigation and visualization
3. Full-text editor with keyboard shortcuts
4. Highlightable text and exportable summary of highlights
5. Flexible sharing options: edit/view-only, individual/group/public, whole/snippet
6. Many export formats: TXT, PDF, DOCX, SRT, MP3
Is there a usage limit?
Otter Free Plan includes 600 minutes of transcription every month – the most generous free plan in the market! Upgrade to Otter Premium to get 6,000 minutes of transcription per month.
Do unused minutes roll over?
Unused minutes do not roll over to the next month, but we save you 92% to 99% compared to paying $0.02 to $0.33 per minute with competitors!
How do I cancel my Otter Premium subscription?
Canceling a subscription will only cancel the automatic renewal after the current cycle. If you have paid for a month or year of Otter Premium, you will still retain the benefits for that month or year until the subscription runs out.
- If you purchased the subscription on otter.ai, you can go to the Settings page and go to the Plan tab to cancel your subscription.
- If purchased through the Android app, you can go to the settings screen and tap “Manage Subscription”. You will then need to cancel the subscription through Google Play.
- If purchased through the iOS app, you will need to cancel the subscription through Apple’s App Store.
Will the Otter app use up my mobile data plan?
If you do not have an unlimited mobile data plan, you can switch on “Data Saver” or “Stream audio on Wi-Fi only” in Settings to ensure that Otter reduces data usage on your device. Otter will not upload audio or transcribe in real-time without a Wi-Fi connection.
What languages are supported?
We currently only support English.
Which web browsers are supported?
The otter.ai website currently works best using Google Chrome (desktop layout). In the future, we plan to improve compatibility with other browsers and on mobile devices.
Which devices are supported?
Which microphones are supported?
Otter supports both wired and bluetooth mics. Here are a few options that some of our users have used and recommended:
- Lavalier microphone, ashina Mic Microphone Professional Design with 1 Adapter for Apple Products iPhone and Android Smartphone
- Conference Call Speaker, eMeet M1 Speakerphone Wireless Conference Speakerphone for 3-5 People, 360 Degree Audio Pickup Smart Light Indication, Compact Portable Design for Skype Speakerphone
- Calisto 600 series Speakerphone
How can I sign into my account on the web?
You can sign into your account either using the same email address and password as the mobile app, or using the same Google or Microsoft account that you used in the mobile app. All of your data is synchronized in the cloud and is available to any device that you are signed in on.
How can I link my Otter account to my Google or Microsoft sign in?
If you created an account at otter.ai using your Google or Microsoft email address, you can sign in with that email address on the mobile phone. Just click on the Google or Microsoft sign in button, and choose the appropriate account with the matching email address, and you’ll be signed in.
How do I change my email or password?
On our otter.ai web app, you can go to Settings and click the corresponding text field to change your email or password. On our Android and iOS apps, you will need to go through the login process until you need to enter in your password. Click or tap on “Forgot your password?” below the password field and follow the steps provided. You cannot change your email from our mobile apps.
Is there anything I can do to improve Otter’s accuracy?
For in-person conversations, please place your recording device close to all speaking parties so that their voices are picked up clearly. You should also try to minimize any background noise or music. Any overlapping speech where people talk over one another should also be avoided if possible.
How come I have not received any rewards for referring other users?
The Premium Pass you receive from referring other users gives you access to various Premium features like custom vocabulary and 600 minutes. The referral reward does not include the 6,000 minutes of transcription that a Premium plan entails.
How do I edit my transcript?
Both iOS and Android allow you to edit your transcript by tapping the edit icon (pencil) in the upper right or by double tapping/long pressing the transcript text then selecting edit from the context menu. On the web, simply click on your transcript and click on the pencil button in menu that appears or the edit button in the upper right.
How can I get transcripts for phone calls?
Call recording is not officially supported at this time. Here are some workarounds:
1. Record with Otter (e.g. Otter.ai web version on a computer, or the Otter mobile app on another device) while putting your call on speaker.
2. For some Android devices, you may be able to use the Otter Android app to record in the background if you put the call on speaker mode. You can also try our integration with the ACR app. Note that Android 9 (or higher) no longer allow 3rd-party apps to record phone calls.
3. Since iOS does not allow 3rd-party apps to record phone calls, you may try using call recording apps that require 3-way calling, and then import recordings into the Otter iOS app (e.g. via iOS share sheet). you can import recordings from another call recording app.
4. For scheduled calls, use Zoom.us (a free conferencing solution that also provides phone dial-ins) to host and record your meetings, then import the recorded audio (audio_only.m4a) into Otter. If you subscribe to Zoom Pro or higher, you can set up Otter to sync cloud recordings from Zoom automatically.
How do I export my transcript?
Open the conversation you’d like to export. Then, click on the 3-dot menu on the top right to select the “Export Text” option. You can choose to copy the transcript text to your clipboard, then paste into your word processor or other apps. You can also export as a text (.txt), PDF (.pdf), or SubRip (.srt) file that you can share to other apps or save to your local drive.
How do I delete a conversation?
Both iOS and Android allow you to swipe left to delete a conversation when viewing them in the Conversations tab. On all of our apps, you can also remove a conversation when viewing the transcript by selecting the “Delete” button from the 3-dot menu on the the upper right corner while viewing the conversation text.
How can I get transcripts for other recordings I have?
You can import audio/video recordings in mp3, aac, wav, m4a, wma, mp4, avi, mov, wmv, mpg formats to Otter for transcription. Log in to your account at otter.ai, and click on “Import audio/video” from the right sidebar. In our Android and iOS apps, you can tap on the import icon on the top right of most screens to import a file. Importing while in a group or folder will import directly into that group or folder. For more details, check out our starter guide!
How can I improve the speaker identification? / Why do I need to label speakers?
Tagging speech bubbles with the speaker’s names will help Otter recognize them in future conversations. Fortunately you don’t need to tag an entire conversation to train Otter. In fact, quality is better than quantity. Try to tag bubbles that have minimal background noise and don’t include speech from other people. If you can find 15 seconds of speech for a given person fitting that criteria, you should be in good shape. For more details, check out our starter guide!
Are there certain jurisdictions where I am legally required to obtain permission from others in the conversation in order to record them?
This may depend on your jurisdiction and specific circumstances. We do not give legal advice or seek to stay on top of all of the legal requirements regarding recording. We do not indemnify against any legal claims that may arise from use of the product. We encourage users to research and understand the law regarding recording in their jurisdiction. We believe that it is good etiquette to always disclose when you are recording a private conversation.
Where can I send feedback?
Email us at email@example.com. We’d love to hear your feedback and suggestions!