Got a question? Browse these FAQs ...
What can I use Otter for?
Otter turns your voice conversations into smart notes that you can easily search and share. You can use it to take notes at your meetings and interviews, capture your thoughts and ideas while you’re driving in the car, and transcribe your existing recordings and podcasts. You can even snap photos (e.g. of a whiteboard, or a speaker or presentation slide at an event) during a recording and they will be inserted inline with your transcripts. The possibilities are endless.
Is my data safe?
How can I delete my Otter account?
Please contact support. We’d like the opportunity to address any questions or concerns you may have about Otter and get your feedback and suggestions to improve the product.
How do I get started?
Is there a cost?
There is no cost to using the free Otter Basic plan – you can record with Otter and sync from Zoom up to 600 minutes every month (limits and restrictions apply) and the plan does not expire. You can upgrade to Premium of Teams plans to get 6,000 minutes of transcription per month for a low subscription fee!
What are the Basic Plan limits?
Basic Plan offers free recording and Zoom-syncing up to 600 minutes per month, and limits each transcription to 40 minutes. Importing is exclusive to Otter Premium and Teams plans, and we offer Basic Plan users 3 trial imports.
Upgrade to Otter Premium to import, record, and Zoom-sync up to 6000 minutes per month and 4 hours per transcription.
Tip for Podcasters on Basic Plan:
Get 1-month Premium Passes (with unlimited imports up to 600 minutes per month) for listeners who sign up via your referral link in your podcast show notes. Visit https://otter.ai/inviting for details.
Tip for Journalists on Basic Plan:
Try recording with both Otter and your high-end recording device to speed up your interview-to-article turnaround. Benefits include:
• Transcripts are ready instantly; no need to import and wait
• Highlight quotes with one tap during your interviews
• Get a backup of your recordings
• Fully use your 600 free minutes
Do unused minutes roll over?
Unused minutes do not roll over to the next month, but we save you 92% to 99% compared to paying $0.02 to $0.33 per minute with competitors!
When do minutes reset?
When your monthly quota of minutes resets is based on your join date. For example, if you created your Otter account on the 18th, then your month refill date is the 18th of each month.
Is there any discount for students / teachers?
We offer a 50% off educational discount to students, teachers, professors, and faculty members of accredited educational institutions. To subscribe:
1. Sign up (or log in) at https://otter.ai website using your school's email address
2. Click on “Get Premium” in the upper right corner
3. Select a Students & Teachers plan
If you do not have a school email address, please contact support with the name of your school and a photo of your valid school ID or registration for the current term.
Do you accept PayPal?
Depending on the availability in your country, you may purchase Otter subscription and pay with PayPal through the App Store or Google Play.
Please check the following articles to see if the App Store or Google Play accepts PayPal as a payment method in your country:
• Payment methods that you can use with your Apple ID
• Accepted payment methods on Google Play
How long does transcription normally take?
While recording on a stable internet connection, we show you a live transcript as you speak. The final transcript and audio processing can take some additional time, and depends on the length of the recording and how busy the otter.ai service is.
My transcript is still processing. What do I do?
If the transcription has been processing for an unexpectedly long time, please contact support so we can look into the problem and possibly reprocess the transcription. Be sure to include the date/time, title, and duration of each affected conversation.
My transcript is stuck uploading. What do I do?
If you see the following status icon next to your recording, it means that it has not been fully uploaded:
Please ensure that you are on a stable network connection, preferably Wi-Fi. If you are using the Otter mobile app and have "Stream audio on Wi-Fi only" or "Data Saver" setting turned on, this means that Otter would only be able to upload the recorded audio if you have Wi-Fi connection AND the Otter app is in the foreground.
My video files failed to import. What do I do?
For large video files (> 500MB), try extracting audio from video first, and then importing audio to Otter:
• On a Mac, you can use QuickTime Player to extract audio from video by selecting File > Export As > Audio Only.
• On a PC, you can use VLC for Windows to convert video into MP3 by selecting Media > Convert/ Save, then select MP3 as the target file format in Profile. See detailed instructions here.
If you have Dropbox synced to your Otter Premium account, try uploading your video files to the Apps > Otter folder in your Dropbox. If the problem persists, please contact support.
Does Otter have integrations with other apps?
Does Otter integrate with Microsoft Teams, Cisco WebEx, Google Meet, and other video conferencing solutions?
Although there is no direct integration with other video conferencing solutions besides Zoom at this time, you can use Otter.ai to record and live transcribe any video meetings as follows:
1. Put your video meeting on speaker mode (i.e. no headphones).
2. Record with Otter.ai running in a web browser window on the same computer where you host your video meeting, or the Otter mobile app for iOS or Android placed between you and your computer's speaker.
3. Check Otter's live transcription to make sure that your device's microphone is picking up your voice and all voices in the video meeting.
How does Otter work with my Zoom recordings?
You can use Otter with all Zoom plans:
• If you have Zoom Basic or higher, you can record Zoom meetings locally to your computer, and then import the audio_only.m4a file into Otter.ai.
• If you have Zoom Pro, Business, or Enterprise, you can also record to the cloud and set up Otter to sync Zoom cloud recordings automatically.
Why are my Zoom recordings stuck processing?
It's very likely that your Zoom settings are not correctly configured. Please follow our setup guide and make sure that you have them set correctly for both your personal account settings and admin account settings.
Why should I sync Zoom recordings into Otter, if Zoom already has transcription built in?
Otter is your one-stop app to capture notes and share conversations, both in-person and online. By syncing your Zoom recordings into Otter, you get richer notes that you can do more with:
1. Highly accurate, readable transcript with custom vocabulary and speaker identification
2. Summary keywords and word cloud for quick navigation and visualization
3. Full-text editor with keyboard shortcuts
4. Highlightable text and exportable summary of highlights
5. Flexible sharing options: edit/view-only, individual/group/public, whole/snippet
6. Many export formats: TXT, PDF, DOCX, SRT, MP3
How long can I record for?
With the Free Plan, you can record or import up to 3 hours in duration (and transcribe up to 40 minutes) per conversation. On our Premium plan, you can record, import, and transcribe up to 4 hours per conversation.
How do I cancel my Premium subscription?
Canceling a subscription will only cancel the automatic renewal after the current cycle. If you have paid for a month or year of Otter Premium, you will still retain the benefits for that month or year until the subscription runs out.
- If you purchased the subscription on otter.ai, you can go to the Settings page and go to the Plan tab to cancel your subscription.
- If purchased through the Android app, you can go to the settings screen and tap “Manage Subscription”. You will then need to cancel the subscription through Google Play.
- If purchased through the iOS app, you will need to cancel the subscription through Apple’s App Store.
Can I cancel any time? Will I lose my data?
We offer monthly and annual subscriptions with automatic renewal. You may cancel any time during your paid subscription period to avoid being charged again, but there is no refund for periods which have already been charged.
You will continue to have access to paid features through the end of your paid subscription period. After that date, you will be switched back to the free Basic Plan and all your content and recordings will remain in your account.
Will the Otter app use up my mobile data plan?
If you do not have an unlimited mobile data plan, you can switch on “Data Saver” or “Stream audio on Wi-Fi only” in Settings to ensure that Otter reduces data usage on your device. Otter will not upload audio or transcribe in real-time without a Wi-Fi connection.
What languages are supported?
We currently only support English.
Is there an option to transcribe to UK English?
Otter automatically localizes the spelling according to the Region setting on the device you use to record or import the audio. Simply change the Region setting on your device and Otter will match it.
How well can Otter handle accents?
Otter can handle a wide variety of accents, including (southern) American, Canadian, Indian, Chinese, Russian, British, Scottish, Italian, German, Swiss, Irish, Scandinavian, and other European accents. We are committed to continue improving Otter's accuracy for even more accents. Check out these user videos and testimonials:
• Male accented speech
• Female accented speech
• Testimonials on Twitter
Any commands for punctuations / line breaks?
Since Otter is designed for capturing meetings, interviews, and other verbal conversations, it automatically inserts punctuations and line breaks. Verbal commands for punctuations and line breaks are not supported at this time, but we will consider adding support for them in the future.
Which web browsers are supported?
Otter.ai works best on Google Chrome (version 67 or higher), but also supports Safari (version 11 or higher), Firefox (version 59 or higher), and Edge (version v80 or higher). We do not support Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge Legacy.
Which devices are supported?
The Otter app can be found on the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store. Otter requires a minimum of iOS version 10.0 or Android Lollipop (5.0). You can use the same Otter account across all devices.
How do I allow Otter to access microphone?
For Otter.ai web version, please go to your web browser's settings and add https://otter.ai in the Allow list, not the Block list, for the Microphone permission.
• For Chrome, go to chrome://settings/content/microphone
• For Safari, go to Safari > Settings for this website. In the pop-up window, please make set the Microphone permission to Allow
• For Firefox, go to about:preferences#privacy > Permissions > Microphone
For Otter mobile apps:
• For iOS, go to iOS Settings app > Privacy > Microphone
• For Android, go to Android Settings > Apps > Otter > Permissions > Microphone > Allow
Which microphones are supported?
Otter supports both wired and bluetooth mics. Here are a few options that some of our users have used and recommended:
- Lavalier microphone, ashina Mic Microphone Professional Design with 1 Adapter for Apple Products iPhone and Android Smartphone
- Conference Call Speaker, eMeet M1 Speakerphone Wireless Conference Speakerphone for 3-5 People, 360 Degree Audio Pickup Smart Light Indication, Compact Portable Design for Skype Speakerphone
- Calisto 600 series Speakerphone
How can I sign into my account on the web?
You can sign into your account either using the same email address and password as the mobile app, or using the same Google or Microsoft account that you used in the mobile app. All of your data is synchronized in the cloud and is available to any device that you are signed in on.
Can I link Otter to my Google/Microsoft sign in?
If you created an account at otter.ai using your Google or Microsoft email address, you can sign in with that email address on the mobile phone. Just click on the Google or Microsoft sign in button, and choose the appropriate account with the matching email address, and you’ll be signed in.
I cannot log in. How do I reset my password?
Please follow these steps to recover access to your Otter account:
1. Go to the otter.ai website
2. If you are still logged in, please log out first by going to Settings > Log out.
3. Click the "Forgot Password?" link and follow the instructions to reset your password.
4. Enter a new password and attempt logging into the website again.
How do I change my email login?
Is there any way to improve Otter’s accuracy?
For in-person conversations, please place your recording device close to all speaking parties so that their voices are picked up clearly. You should also try to minimize any background noise or music. Any overlapping speech where people talk over one another should also be avoided if possible. In addition, you can add custom vocabulary to boost the accuracy for proper names, jargon, acronyms, and unique name spellings. Basic plan gives you 5 trial words/phrases. Premium plan gives you a personal vocabulary of 200 names and 200 other vocabulary. Teams plan gives you a team vocabulary of 800 names and 800 other vocabulary (in addition to a personal vocabulary of 200 names and 200 other vocabulary per user).
How does referral program work?
Through Otter's referral program, when someone you refer successfully signs up for a new Otter account, you will both get a 1-month Premium Pass. With the Premium Pass, you get access to Premium features (i.e. custom vocabulary, export to PDF/DOCX/SRT, Dropbox integration, and more) and 600 minutes/month (not 6000). With multiple referrals that lead to successful sign-ups, for example if 3 of your friends sign up using your referral code, you will have the Premium Pass for 3 consecutive months. For Premium users, if you refer others, you get 100 rollover minutes and 1000 if they also sign up for the Premium Plan.
Log in and go to https://otter.ai/inviting to refer your friends using your referral link. See referral program details at https://otter.ai/referral-terms.
How do I claim my referral rewards?
Referral rewards are automatically applied to your account, so no action is required on your part to claim your reward. You may go to https://otter.ai/setting/plan to see the status of your plan.
Why have I not received my referral rewards?
You will only receive rewards when the person you referred signed up for an account and verifies their email. The Premium Pass you receive from referring other users gives you access to various Premium features like custom vocabulary and 600 minutes. The referral reward does not include the 6,000 minutes of transcription that a Premium plan entails.
Is there a way to disable the time stamps?
Yes, in the Otter iOS and Android apps, you can hide the timestamps by tapping on the 3-dot menu at the upper right corner, then select Hide timestamps.
You may also convert the transcript into a monologue (i.e. a single block of text with no line breaks) during export:
- To export as a monologue in the Otter mobile app, go to the 3-dot menu of a conversation, select Export, then Export Text. Under Customize Output, toggle the Show as monologue option to ON.
- In web, go to the 3-dot menu of a conversation, select Export Text. Then toggle Export as monologue to ON.
How do I edit my transcript?
Both iOS and Android allow you to edit your transcript by tapping the edit icon (pencil) in the upper right or by double tapping/long pressing the transcript text then selecting edit from the context menu. On the web, simply click on your transcript and click on the pencil button in menu that appears or the edit button in the upper right.
How can I get transcripts for phone calls?
Call recording is not supported, due to restrictions and limitations by Apple iOS and Google Android. Here are some workarounds:
1. Record with otter.ai in a web browser on your computer, or the Otter app on another mobile device, while putting your phone/video call on speaker. See https://blog.otter.ai/how-to-transcribe-any-video-meetings-with-otter-ai/. Transcription accuracy may vary depending on the clarity of the far-end speech.
2. For some Android devices, you may be able to use the Otter Android app to record in the background if you put the call on speaker mode. You can also try our integration with the ACR app. Please test it out to make sure it works for your device before recording your actual important conversation.
3. Since iOS, you may try using call recording apps that require 3-way calling, and then import recordings into the Otter iOS app (e.g. via iOS share sheet).
4. For scheduled calls, use Zoom.us (a free conferencing solution that also provides phone dial-ins) to host and record your meetings, then import the recorded audio (audio_only.m4a) into Otter. If you subscribe to Zoom Pro or higher, you can set up Otter to sync cloud recordings from Zoom automatically. If you subscribe to Otter for Teams, we have a feature called Otter Live Notes which is an add-on for Zoom meeting hosts to enable live transcription for all participants and live note-taking for collaborators. It opens as a web page you can put next to Zoom or send the link to open on other devices. Learn more and see a video demo at https://blog.otter.ai/zoom
How do I copy text from my transcript?
Open a conversation and select some text. Then, click Copy. The selected text is now in the clipboard and ready for you to paste into another application.
How do I export my transcript?
Open the conversation you’d like to export. Then, click on the 3-dot menu on the top right to select the “Export Text” option. You can choose to copy the transcript text to your clipboard, then paste into your word processor or other apps. You can also export as a text (.txt), PDF (.pdf), or SubRip (.srt) file that you can share to other apps or save to your local drive.
How do I delete a conversation?
Both iOS and Android allow you to swipe left to delete a conversation when viewing them in the Conversations tab. On all of our apps, you can also remove a conversation when viewing the transcript by selecting the “Delete” button from the 3-dot menu on the the upper right corner while viewing the conversation text.
Can I delete multiple conversations at once?
In the Otter mobile app, you can tap on the circular icons on the left to select multiple conversations in My Conversations, (or in a group or folder), and then select Delete under the 3-dot menu.
Can I get transcripts for existing recordings?
You can import audio/video recordings in mp3, aac, wav, m4a, wma, mp4, avi, mov, wmv, mpg formats to Otter for transcription. Log in to your account at otter.ai, and click on “Import audio/video” from the right sidebar. In our Android and iOS apps, you can tap on the import icon on the top right of most screens to import a file. Importing while in a group or folder will import directly into that group or folder. For more details, check out our starter guide!
How do I adjust the font size?
Although there isn't a way inside the Otter app to adjust the font size yet, you may ...
• [For Web] Use the web browser's Zoom In/Out feature
• [For Android] Go to Android Settings > Display > Font size and style (the precise navigation may vary depending on your Android device)
• [For iOS] Go to iOS Settings > Accessibility > Display & Text Size > Larger Text
How do I import from iOS Voice Memos?
To import a recording from iOS Voice Memos into Otter:
1. Open the Voice Memos app on your iOS device
2. Tap (or swipe left) on the item you wish to import, then tap on the 3-dot icon
3. Tap Share
4. Tap the Otter app icon
5. Optionally edit the title and select a group to Share to
6. Tap Import to start
How do I train Otter to identify speakers?
Otter learns to identify speaker voices from the paragraphs you "tag" by tapping on the avatar to the left of a paragraph and entering or selecting a name. For best results, tag at least 15 seconds of speech for each speaker, with minimal background noise and not mixed with other people's voices.
Otter will learn the speakers' voices and tag the remaining paragraphs for you automatically, so you do not need to tag every paragraph yourself manually. This will typically takes a few minutes but may take up to 15 minutes, so please be patient.
For all future conversations, Otter will automatically identify those speakers for whom you had previously tagged. New speakers whom you had never tagged before will not be recognized. Simply tag these new speakers as described above.
For more details, check out our starter guide!
Are there certain jurisdictions where I am legally required to obtain permission from others in the conversation to record them?
This may depend on your jurisdiction and specific circumstances. We do not give legal advice or seek to stay on top of all of the legal requirements regarding recording. We do not indemnify against any legal claims that may arise from use of the product. We encourage users to research and understand the law regarding recording in their jurisdiction. We believe that it is good etiquette to always disclose when you are recording a private conversation.
Where can I send feedback?
We'd love your feedback and suggestions! Please send them via contact support.
How do I contact support?
Log into your Otter account and look for the Contact Support form.
• In the Otter.ai website, click the profile icon at the upper right.
• In the Otter mobile app, tap the 3-line icon at the upper left, then tap Settings.